History of Lynden Hill Clinic

History of the House

The house is built on a ley line, with direct views across the valley to Windsor Castle.

Legend has it that the house was built on a hill as one of the Ladies of the House was a mistress of King George III and she could see when he was at Windsor!

Linden Hill was always known as Bear Hill, possibly so called, after the De Bere family who were the major landowners in the local area.

1438

The earliest account

The earliest account of a property here was in 1438.  Sir John Harpeden, Kent, listed his estate including 230 acres of pasture, arable and woodland in Wargrave. 

1438

1634

Thomas Manwood

The next account of the property is in 1634. The Vicar compounded his tithes for payment in cash, and Thomas Manwood of Bear Hill, paid the sum of sixpence – the smallest amount collected, though his estate was almost the largest.
1634

1657

George Courtrop

In 1657 the property had again found a fresh owner, a George Courtrop and then in 1741 Viscountess Preston owned the estate.
1657

1751

Captain John Hamilton

In 1751 it was the seat of Captain the Hon John Hamilton (1714-1755), who commissioned the main part of the building that stands on the site today.

PORTRAIT OF CAPTAIN HAMILTON BY JOHN REYNOLDS

1751

1755

Moses Ximenes

Shortly after Hamilton’s death, the house was sold to Moses Ximenes Esq who was a captain in the British Army and Berkshire landowner.

1755

1817

The Fonnereau Family

The property was then acquired by Martyn Fonnereau a member of parliament, who died in 1817, leaving the property to his son Henry.

 

1817

1878

John Jesse Bulkeley

Mr John Jesse Bulkeley bought the estate from the Fonnereau’s and his family held it for the longest period in its history, nearly one hundred years.

1878

1928

The Roaring Twenties

After only a short time, the property was again sold in 1926 to Mr FWJ Firkins, who sold in 1928 to Mr Guy Argles.

Mr Argles lived here with his two daughters and the property became the centre of the village social scene. As a stockbroker, Mr Argles was very wealthy and held large parties regularly. 

1928

1950

Helen Stuart Lingerie

In 1950, sisters Helen and Edna moved their lingerie business and belongings into the house with their team of girls.

1950

1980

Lynden Hall

The building was purchased in January 1980 by a property developer for the Masons and an application was made for the necessary alterations.  

1980

1985

Windsor Clinic

The Windsor Clinic, a rehabilitation clinic opened its doors and the clinic started its place of healing.
1985

1993

Lynden Hill Clinic

Lynden Hill Clinic opened in 1993, the realisation of a long-held vision to create a unique, tranquil place of healing and recovery.

1993

History of Lynden Hill Clinic

The house is built on a ley line, with direct views across the valley to Windsor Castle.

Legend has it that the house was built on a hill as one of the Ladies of the House was a mistress of King George III and she could see when he was at Windsor!

Linden Hill was always known as Bear Hill, possibly so called, after the De Bere family who were the major landowners in the local area.

The earliest account of a property here was in 1438. Sir John Harpeden, Kent, listed his estate including 230 acres of pasture, arable and woodland in Wargrave.

The next account of the property is in 1634. The Vicar compounded his tithes for payment in cash, and Thomas Manwood of Bear Hill, paid the sum of sixpence – the smallest amount collected, though his estate was almost the largest.

In 1657 the property had again found a fresh owner, a George Courtrop and then in 1741 Viscountess Preston owned the estate.

Captain John Hamilton

In 1751 it was the seat of Captain the Hon John Hamilton (1714-1755), who commissioned the main part of the building that stands on the site today. He was Great Grandfather (x 6) to Princess Diana. Captain Hamilton was a British naval officer, the second son of James Hamilton, 7th Earl of Abercon. He served in the Royal Navy in Guinea and the West Indies and throughout the War of Austrian Succession. In 1749 he married Harriet Eliot, the widow of Richard Eliot. Unfortunately, Captain Hamilton drowned in Portsmouth Harbour in 1755 before the building was completed.

PORTRAIT OF CAPTAIN HAMILTON BY JOHN REYNOLDS
PORTRAIT OF CAPTAIN HAMILTON BY JOHN REYNOLDS

Moses Ximenes Esq

Shortly after Hamilton’s death, Bear Hill was sold to Moses Ximenes Esq who was a captain in the British Army and Berkshire landowner.

The Fonnereau Family

The property was then acquired by Martyn Fonnereau a member of parliament, who died in 1817, leaving the property to his son Henry.

John Jesse Bulkeley

Mr John Jesse Bulkeley bought the estate from the Fonnereau’s and his family held it for the longest period in its history, nearly one hundred years. Until about 1830 Linden Hill was known as Bear Hill. The name change reflects John Jesse’s attachment to the lines of linden trees leading up to the house. On his death in 1878, his estate was divided equally between his wife and 4 children and his favourite grandson Henry Charles, son of Francis Beaumaris. The house and contents were left to his wife for as long as she chose to live there. Sarah Mary survived him by 15 years dying in 1893. Henry inherited the house, and its contents and moved into the property after his mother died in 1895. He lived there until after World War I and sold the estate around 1925 to Sir Henry Holder Bart.

The Roaring Twenties

After only a short time, the property was again sold in 1926 to Mr FWJ Firkins, who sold in 1928 to Mr Guy Argles. Mr Argles lived here with his two daughters and the property became the centre of the village social scene. As a stockbroker, Mr Argles was very wealthy and held big parties regularly. He had a huge number of staff working here and had an amazing vegetable garden that stocked the local pubs with fresh food. He is also remembered for having beautiful rose gardens and a fleet of expensive cars!

Helen Stuart Lingerie

In 1950, sisters Helen and Edna moved their business and belongings into the house with their team of girls. ‘Helen Stuart’ was a successful lingerie business in London, but they moved out to Berkshire when London rents rose. The sisters decided that moving to a country mansion would enable them to entertain the buyers from the luxury stores to which they sold, Harrods, Dickens and Jones etc.

The company presented Princess Margaret with a trousseau of new lingerie when she got married.  One of the nuns from the convent down the road was the model for the fittings as she was the same size as Princess Margaret!

In 1967 the property was awarded “Listed Building” status.

In 1979 the workshop closed, and the house was put up for sale. 

Lynden Hall

The building was purchased in January 1980 by a property developer for the Masons and an application had been made for the necessary alterations.  In January 1982, the first Lodge moved in followed by three/four others.  Masonry left Linden Hall at the end of 1984.

The company presented Princess Margaret with a trousseau of new lingerie when she got married.  One of the nuns from the convent down the road was the model for the fittings as she was the same size as Princess Margaret!

In 1967 the property was awarded “Listed Building” status.

In 1979 the workshop closed, and the house was put up for sale. 

Windsor Clinic

The Windsor Clinic opened its doors, and the Clinic started its life as a place of healing.  The clinic treated patients with emotional problems, depression and addictions. They also accommodated mothers suffering from post-natal depression and a unit was created to allow babies to be with their mothers whilst they were here.

The company presented Princess Margaret with a trousseau of new lingerie when she got married.  One of the nuns from the convent down the road was the model for the fittings as she was the same size as Princess Margaret!

In 1967 the property was awarded “Listed Building” status.

In 1979 the workshop closed, and the house was put up for sale.